I know it doesn’t seem like it, but summer is sneaking up on us. With summer comes the bugs. Here is a quick rundown of the usual pests and a couple of the best oils to keep them at bay. I’ll put some recipes up later, but for now just a general list.
- Ants: Peppermint, Spearmint
- Beetles: Peppermint, Thyme
- Mosquitoes: Lavender, Lemongrass
- Flies: Rosemary, Peppermint
- Spiders: Lavender, Peppermint
- Roaches: Eucalyptus, Tea Tree
- Aphids: Peppermint, Spearmint
For me, I keep a spray bottle with about 5dr peppermint, then half water/half witch hazel, and I spray the garage on a regular basis to keep away all bugs, esp those with 8 legs. I have planters with Citronella and Lemongrass plants on both front and back porch to keep away the mosquitoes. Usually I limit where I plant my mint because it spreads so much, but this year I’m going natural for my fight against the bugs and planting it anywhere that I tend to get aphids. I love that I can fuse my semi-green thumb with my oil knowledge and have some nature-made insect repellent!